Friday, May 8, 2009

Poe-Tweet for Twitter Quitters

If you believed some of the pundits earlier this year, no one had time to read printed matter any more because they were too busy with Twitter.

This print dinosaur in recent months has learned various aspects of Web 2.0, or 3.0, or whatever -- using Google Reader to keep track of various Web sites, participating actively in LinkedIn, and adding a button on this Web site for sharing articles via Digg, StumbleUpon, and the like.

But I could never get my head around Twitter. How can anyone say anything useful in just 140 characters, the maximum per “tweet”.

It turns out that even those who have tried Twitter are having the same trouble. Nielsen Online recently revealed research suggesting that most people who sign up for Twitter quit within a month.

Still, trying to keep an open mind, I thought I’d see what it’s like to compose a tweet. I figured that using poetry and writing about Twitter itself would lead to concise language. I did my best, but still came up a few characters short:

Join Twitter, some urged.
I pondered it.
OMG, they pleaded,
Get with it.
But most tweeters, I read,
Abandon it,
Finding most tweets 2b
Just pure s

Gotta run. I want to finish the actual book I'm reading.

No comments: